There are legends that say that the lake is rest of the Pannonian Sea, but that it was derived from shepherd Paul's tears who pastured his flock.
The lake was created in ancient times as outcrop lake, although the lake water is mostly derived from rainfall that filled valley. Water is poured from the surrounding terrain, washing the sodium chloride, so the lake became salty.
Palić lake was mentioned for the first time in written documents in 1462. as Pali (Paly). The first drawing or map of the lake (Paligo Palus) comes from the 1690.
Bath and Spa Palić
At the end of the eighteenth century it was well-known that lake water and mud have curative characteristic. City doctors of Subotica, proposed in 1837. that the Bath building sholud be on the coast. The porterhouse, „Donja Trščara", was built in 1845., and it was located near the swimming building, which consisted of several cabins. This was the foundation of future beach and spa.
In addition to the treatment (primarily bone and skin diseases) visitors also came to Palić due to the extremely rich supply of entertainment. The golden age of Palić spa, started in 1880s, after the opening of the railway line Budapest-Zemun in 1883. and tram lines to Subotica in 1897. The number of Palić spa visitors grew until the beginning of the First World War.
Propagator of a motto 'healthy body - healthy mind' and sport in general, at the end of the nineteenth century in this region, was Lajos Vermes - benefactor, sports enthusiast and competitor from Subotica. He organized sports games by gathering hundreds of top athlets in 1880. in Palić, in the spirit of Olympism. That was 16 years before Pierre de Coubertin renewed modern Olympic Games.
Between 1880. and 1914., Palić sports games were held in fast walking, cycling, wrestling, fencing and other sports. Rowing, sailing, game ball, bowling, swimming, skating, ice sailing and tennis have a long tradition in Palić.
The post-war periods
After the World War I, when Palić became part of Yugoslavia, the Great (Men's) beach was built on the east bank of the lake, and it was the largest facility of its kind in the former Yugoslavia.
After World War II beautification of the Palić lake was continued. In 1950., modern Summer stage of non chiping stone was built in pine forest, and since than many artists have performed there. Same year the Zoo opened.
Sports Centre with fields for soccer, volleyball, basketball and handball was built during the sixties. Weekend settlement was built on the east bank of the Palić, and many companies have raised resorts for their workers.
Recent Palić history
In 1978., the first wells of mineral water were dug on Palić, and in 1984. thermal swimming pool was open.
In addition to an existing filter, in 1995. channel Tisa – Palić was put into operation, and it greatly contributed improving the quality of lake water.
In the manner of the old, existing villas, the modern hotel Prezident was built, and after that several villas were subsequently adapted and turned into a small luxury hotels.
Palic was enthroned as a quality and well-known tourist destination, and in 2007. evelopment plan for Palić - Master Plan has been adopted .